Radar guns are mainly used by the police force during traffic in order to check a vehicle’s speed in order to enforce speed limit laws. However, what many do not know, is that these very same radar guns are also often used to measure the speed of baseball during pitches as well.
This is especially useful for to accurately measuring improvements when training a pitcher for baseball matches so many baseball coaches out there probably own one.
Another use is during competition and the commentators will often use the speed of the baseball to determine how strong the pitch was. With such niche uses in baseball, we want to share with you guys a list of the best baseball radar guns that would be perfect for use measuring the speed of baseball.
List of the Best Baseball Radar Guns
Speed Gun Pitcher by Bushnell
The Bushnell radar gun can measure the speed of objects from up to 90 feet away. This is the perfect distance for those trying to measure the speed of baseball pitches as it can be very difficult to be near the pitchers.
This is highly useful during training and so we greatly recommend this for baseball coaches. For its price, it is also very accurate as it is able to measure in miles per hour with only +/- one mph. Moreover, it measures the speed of baseballs up to a maximum of 110 mph.
For vehicles, the Bushnell radar gun can measure up to 1500 feet away which means it can also be used in the police force to check the speed of vehicles. As a bonus, getting this speed gun will also snatch 4 free major-league standard baseballs.
Swing Speed Radar by Sport Sensors
- Portable Doppler Golf Club and Bat Speed Velocity Calculator. Measures Speed from 20 to 200 MPH, Accurate for All Ages. Great Gift Idea for New, Rookie and Pro Golfers.
- Calculates clubhead or bat speed within a range of 20 to 200 miles per hour without being attached to your Golf Club or Baseball Bat
- For Golf, place the unit 8-10 inches from Tee if using a driver or fairway wood. If using an iron, place unit 14 inches to the rear and angle face to see the back of your club at impact.
- For Baseball, hang unit from backstop or screw into tripod (Not Included)
- Powered by 3 AA batteries (not included); ideal for both players and coaches/instructors. NOTE: Refer the Manual before use.
This swing speed radar is slightly different from the other radar guns on this list. Instead of measuring the speed of the baseball itself, it will aid you in improvements by measuring the speed of your swing and helping you optimize it in the sport.
As it measures the speed slightly differently from other guns on this list, it needs to be set up differently as well. It needs to be positioned in front of the swing about 8 inches away to measure how well you swing. This is also a big disadvantage of this radar gun as it needs to be very close to the object you are trying to measure.
However, it is certainly a unique radar gun and will greatly help your players hone their skills in swinging. Therefore, this is a very specialized radar gun and we would only recommend this to veteran players who are looking to take their pitching skills to the next level.
Stalker Sport 2 Radar by Stalker Radar Factory Direct
This radar gun is called a stalker for a reason as it has one of the highest detectable range of all speed guns on this list. It can detect the speed of objects of up to 300 feet away.
Not only this, but it also has a bigger range of speed detection as it can measure the speed of baseballs up to 150 mph. On top of this, it can measure both the release and the plate speed simultaneously without any effort. Similar to previous radar guns on this list, it is accurate with about +/- 1 mph.
It uses 6 AA batteries and so will require frequent changing of batteries from time to time. It will also come in a carrier case for convenience.
Pro Radar System by Pocket Radar
- The most affordable pro performance radar system on the market.
- Rugged, weather resistant system is for players and coaches working with training facilities, showcases, camps, clinics and combines.
- Get instant feedback on Ball Exit Velocity as well as Pitching, Serving, Shooting and Throwing Speeds to help athletes get better faster.
- Bright sunlight viewable over 100 feet away and Brightness adjusts automatically with changing lighting conditions
- Wide viewing angle and full 3-digit display, multiple easy mounting configurations, and portable battery power for on-field use
Pocket Radar’s radar gun stays true to its name as it is small, light, and portable allowing you to travel with it easily. It is designed for both players and coaches to enhance their training and performance in sports. Unlike previous guns, it has a battery that can charge like any phone you have adding to its portability.
If you prefer, it can also use your standard alkaline batteries. It promises immediate feedback on ball exit velocity and has an accuracy of +/- 1 mph as well. Its range is on the larger end as it is able to measure velocities of baseballs up to 200 feet away and larger objects up to 300 feet away.
Speed Training Tool and Radar Gun by Pocket Radar
- Basic Stand-Alone Radar Gun, NOT Compatible with the Pocket Radar App
- Newer model, Smart Coach Radar with App Compatibility, also available through Amazon
- Specifically designed to measure the fastest speed of a ball in flight; Includes 2 year manufacturer’s warranty
- Accurately finds the fastest speed of a ball or puck for baseball, softball, tennis, volleyball, lacrosse, hockey and cricket
Another entry by Pocket Radar; however, is more expensive and therefore is more premium in terms of quality and function. The Ball Coach Radar made by Pocket Radar is strictly meant to target professional athletes and coaches.
It helps show them visible progress and therefore aids in building a more effective training regimen as well. It is specially designed to measure the fastest speed of a ball in flight. It has 120 feet of range and can measure up to 130 mph with an accuracy of about +/- 1 mph.
However, one of the biggest selling points of this radar is its size. It is incredibly small and can fit into any pocket or bag. It is light and can be worn around the neck for ease of use by coaches and trainers.
Velocity Speed Gun By Bushnell
- Large, clear LCD display. Note: Batteries need to be installed appropriately for the item to turn on and function
- Displays fastest speed once trigger is released
- An easy point and shoot speed gun with plus/minus 1.0 MPH accuracy
- Can track the speed of a ball from 10 feet up to 110 MPH
- Measures 4.3 x 8.4 x 6 inches (W x H x D); 2 year warranty
This speed gun by Bushnell is on the lower end in terms of the price tag. However, this does not mean that the gun is inferior to others on this list in any way. It features a large and clear LCD display that shows the speed of the ball at the back of the gun.
However, this gun has limited range as it can only read baseballs up to 90 feet away which is really short compared to many other speed guns of this type. Additionally, it can only measure baseballs up to 110 mph which is, once again, severely limited, and therefore we do not recommend this for serious or professional sports trainers or coaches.
Sports Radar Gun by Jugs
- Speed Range: 5-140 mph (8-224 kph). Greater distance range—up to 300 ft.
- Operates in two user-friendly modes—Trigger mode and Continuous mode.
- Measures both MPH and KPH. Guaranteed to have an accuracy index of ±0.5 mph.
- State-of-the-art Digital Signal Processing (DSP) technology.
- Industry-best 2-Year Guarantee
This is an excellent speed gun made by Jugs and a very interesting one at that as well. One of the best things about this speed gun is its accuracy. It is the only speed gun on this list with an accuracy of +/- 0.5 mph which is absolutely phenomenal. This is definitely the most reliable speed gun to be featured on this list and should definitely be picked up by veteran coaches and other professionals.
Besides this, it can measure up to 140 mph of speed with a distance range of up to 300 ft which are all really good numbers for a speed gun compared to others on this list. It also has some great modes such as continuous modes that read the speed of the first pitch automatically and then clear and reads the next pitch as well.
Speedster III Radar Gun by Bushnell
- Provides +/- 1 MPH accuracy instantaneously
- Continuous mode for automatic readings
- Displays fastest speed once trigger is released
- Accurate digital speed reading using DSP (digital speed processing)
- RF technology transmits wireless data for display on the optional Bushnell SpeedScreen
Featuring continuous mode for automatic reading as well, the Bushnell Speedster III is a force to be reckoned with. It uses digital speed processing to give an instant speed reading with an accuracy of about +/- 1 mph. One unique feature about this gun is its grip, it has a textured grip that allows for a tight and secure grip on your hand at all times.
However, it requires 2 C batteries as well as an optional speed reading screen which the RF technology in the radar gun transmits to in order to read the speed.
Sport Radar Gun by Sports Radar
- Sports Radar Tracer SRA3000 Radar Gun
This is a fantastic high-performance radar gun made by Sports Radar. It can read the speed of objects up to 199 mph which is the highest speed that can be read by any radar gun on this list. It is also amazingly accurate and can measure the speed of objects almost instantly. It also features a beeper that can be turned on or off depending on the user’s preference.
Baseball Radar Gun by Bushnell
- America Bushnell handheld radar velocimeter VELOCITY (10-1911) type
With an accuracy of about +/- 1 mph, this is quite an underwhelming speed gun made by Bushnell as it does not feature any unique functions that make it stand out against many of the other guns featured on this list. It has a maximum speed detection of 110 mph and a distance range of 22.5 M for baseball. It also features an LCD screen on the back of the gun for easy display of the speed.
Baseball radar guns come in all shapes and sizes and we want to make sure that you pick the right one for the purpose that you are looking for. So we have made this buying guide to help you decide which radar gun is the most suitable one for you.
Speed and distance range
This is extremely important, especially for professional coaches and athletes who are looking to up their game and training. As a professional coach, you will want to be able to detect the ball no matter how fast it goes so you would want a speed gun with a high-speed limit. On top of this, you may want to have a speed gun with a fairly decent detecting range as you would not be able to be very close to the ball during its pitch.
Different speed guns have different types of screens. Some are LCD and are brighter and easier to read in the light. While some are large and are on the back which makes it easy to point the gun at an object and read its speed from the back.
Size and Weight
This may not be as important as for other people but to many of you out there, you will want the lightest possible radar gun as you may have to spend a lot of time using it and holding it during training.
The baseball radar gun is absolutely essential for baseball training, especially for those who are doing it as their livelihood. We highly recommend that you grab a baseball radar gun suitable for your training needs as early as possible to better prepare for your next baseball match.