A former volunteer deputy registrar from southeast Texas pleaded guilty to 26 felony counts of voter fraud stemming from a 2018 local utility board election.
Monica Mendez of Port Lavaca has been convicted of “three counts of illegal voting, eight counts of election fraud, seven counts of assisting a voter to submit a ballot by mail, and eight counts of unlawful possession of a mail ballot,” Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton’s office stated in a press release. Her guilty plea was entered on June 9, the Victoria Advocate reported:
Voter fraud is real, and it’s a real threat. That’s why I have a whole Unit devoted to stopping it. My office’s commitment to election integrity ensures Texas has the safest elections in the country. Here’s one of our successful recent cases: https://t.co/Uu0rzxDUPp
— Texas Attorney General (@TXAG) June 17, 2022
“Mendez ran a vote-harvesting operation on behalf of a subsidized housing corporation in order to influence the outcome of a utility board election,” Paxton’s office said. The felonies stemmed from eight mail-in ballots, the Texas Scorecard reported.
District Judge Eli Garza imposed a sentence of five years deferred adjudication probation, Paxton’s office said. In addition to probation, she was ordered to pay fines totaling $1,415 and has to complete 80 hours of community service, according to the Advocate. It is unclear if Mendez received a plea deal.
Per the outlet:
Victoria County Elections Administrator Margetta Hill said in June 2021 Mendez worked as a volunteer deputy registrar during the 2018 water board election in Bloomington.
The Texas Scorecard reported that Mendez’s voter fraud felonies were conducted to benefit ALMS, asserting that the nonprofit “wanted to oust incumbents and take control of the board in order to cut water rates for its rental properties.”
Mendez’s conviction follows a number of election fraud scandals that have made headlines as of late. This month, Breitbart News reported that a former Democrat mayor from Arizona pleaded guilty to ballot harvesting. Last month, the results from a Compton, California, city council election were reversed after the victorious candidate was hit with bribery and voter fraud charges in an extremely close race.
The case is the State of Texas v. Monica Mendez, No. 21-06-32996-A, in the 377th District Court in Victoria County, Texas.
Donors pledge $160 million, Palestinian refugees need more
UNITED NATIONS — Donors pledged about $160 million for the U.N. agency helping Palestinian refugees, but it still needs over $100 million to support education for more than half a million children and provide primary health care for close to 2 million people and emergency cash assistance to the poorest refugees, the agency’s chief said Friday.
Briefing reporters on the outcome of Thursday’s donor conference, Philippe Lazzarini said the pledges when turned into cash will enable the U.N. Relief and Works Agency known as UNRWA to run its operations through September. But “I do not know if we will get the necessary cash to allow us to pay the salaries after the month of September,” he said.
“We are in an early warning mode,” Lazzarini said. “Right now, I’m drawing the attention that we are in a danger zone and we have to avoid a situation where UNRWA is pushed to cross the tipping point, because if we cross the tipping point that means 28,000 teachers, health workers, nurses, doctors, engineers, cannot be paid.”
UNRWA was established to provide education, health care, food and other services to the 700,000 Palestinians who fled or were forced from their homes during the war surrounding Israel’s establishment in 1948.
There are now 5.7 million Palestinian refugees, including their children and grandchildren, who mostly live in camps that have been transformed into built-up but often impoverished residential areas in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, east Jerusalem and Gaza, as well as in Jordan, Syria and Lebanon. But UNRWA only helps the more than 500,000 in school and close to 2 million who have health benefits.
Lazzarini said the more than $100 million shortfall in funding for 2022 is about the same as the shortfall that UNRWA has faced every year for almost a decade, but while income has stagnated costs have increased.
In past years, UNRWA has been able to absorb the shortfall through austerity and cost control measures, he said, but today it’s not possible because there is very little left to cut without cutting services.
“Today, we have some classrooms with up to 50 kids,” the UNRWA commissioner-general said. “We have a double shift in our schools. We have doctors who cannot spend more than three minutes in medical consultation. So if we go beyond that, it will force the agency to cut services.”
Lazzarini said UNRWA’s problem is that “we are expected to provide government-like services to one of the most destitute communities in the region, but we are funded like an NGO because we depend completely on voluntary contributions.”
Funding the agency’s services has been put at risk today because of the “de-prioritization, or maybe increased indifference, or because of domestic politics,” he said.
Lazzarini said the solution to UNRWA’s chronic financial problem requires “political will” to match the support for the agency’s work on behalf of Palestinian refugees.
He said UNRWA has a very strong donor base in Europe and last year the Biden administration resumed funding which was cut by the Trump administration, but he said the overall contribution from the Arab world has dropped to less than 3% of the agency’s income.
Donors have also faced financial difficulties stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic, and now there’s a major effort to help Ukraine in its war with Russia, he said.
“We will know better at the end of the year how much it will impact the agency,” Lazzarini said.
Some donors have already warned UNRWA “that we might not have the traditional top-up at the end of the year, which would be dramatic” for the agency, he said.
Ahead of Thursday’s donors conference, Israel’s U.N. Ambassador Erdan Calls on countries to freeze contributions until all UNRWA teachers that it claims support terrorism and murdering Jews are fired.
Lazzarini said UNRWA received a letter from Israel’s U.N. Mission Friday which he hadn’t read, but he said all allegations will be investigated and if there is a breach of U.N. values and misconduct “we will take measures in line with U.N. policies.”
Mexico climber dies scaling active, off-limits volcano
MEXICO CITY — A woman mountain climber in Mexico died and a climbing companion was injured when they scaled the highly active, off-limits peak of the Popocatepetl volcano.
Mexico’s volunteer Mountain Rescue and Assistance Brigade confirmed Friday that the climbers fell into a gully about 1,000 feet (300 meters) from the volcano’s crater, suggesting they had reached the crater or near it.
The crater of the 17,797-foot (5,426-meter) tall volcano has been belching toxic fumes, ash, and lumps of incandescent rock persistently for almost 30 years.
Civil defense authorities have strictly prohibited climbers from going within 7.5 miles (12 kilometers) of the peak since it began erupting again in 1994.
Valentín Martínez Castillo, the mayor of the nearby town of Ozumba, identified the dead woman as a 22-year-old resident of the town.
Martínez Castillo wrote in his social media accounts that the climbers fell about 150 feet (50 meters) down a gully, and that the woman’s body and the surviving climbers had been successfully removed from the peak.
The Mountain Rescue and Assistance Brigade posted a notice on their social media Friday reading: “She shouldn’t have died. Don’t put your life or those of others at risk. The Popocatepetl volcano is closed.”
The country’s National Disaster Prevention Center said it “calls on people not to go near the volcano, especially the crater, due to the risk of falling ballistic fragments.”
Popocatepetl is located 45 miles (72 kilometers) southeast of Mexico City, and occasionally showers ash on surrounding towns and some parts of the capital.
Bill Clinton: Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade decision has ‘put our democracy at risk’
Former President Clinton is slamming the Supreme Court’s ruling to overturn Roe v. Wade, saying it contributes to putting “democracy at risk” and calling the high court “radical” and “activist.”
“This decision puts partisanship ahead of precedent, ideology ahead of evidence, and the power of a small minority ahead of the clear will of the people,” Clinton said in a statement on Friday.
“This jarring removal of rights that had long been guaranteed, along with decisions gutting the Voting Rights Act and abolishing any judicial remedy for admittedly unconstitutional gerrymandering by state legislatures and abuses of power by federal authorities, has put our democracy at risk in the hands of a radical, activist Court,” he added.
He said said voters should be electing people “who will defend, not deny, our cherished rights and liberties” in addition to confirming judges who put the importance of the Constitution over partisanship.
His wife, former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, called the decision “a step backward for women’s rights and human rights.”
The development comes as the high court ruled on Friday to eliminate federal-level abortion protections, which many anticipated after a leaked draft ruling last month.
Several states, including Missouri, South Dakota, Louisiana and Kentucky, have now effectively banned abortion. More are expected to follow.
Roe v. Wade
Entertainment3 weeks ago
At Long Last, the First Portrait of Lilibet Mountbatten-Windsor Is Here
Science3 weeks ago
Wow! International Space Station and Boeing Starliner captured in the same incredible image
Top News3 weeks ago
Shari Puorto Band performs at Beaver Creek, CO’s Blues, Brews & BBQ Festival, 2022
Top News2 weeks ago
Italy minister says nationalisation an option for Lukoil refinery
Technology3 weeks ago
Save over $650 off an unlimited lifetime subscription to Offcloud
Entertainment3 weeks ago
25 Of The Best Candid Royal Family Moments From The Platinum Jubilee
Science3 weeks ago
How to Change the Alarm Volume on iPhone
Sports3 weeks ago
Michael Bisping shares his take on the biggest UFC fight that failed to come to fruition: “That truly is the one that got away”