Spain, the Netherlands, and Portugal have announced that they will limit the use of the AstraZeneca covida-19 vaccine to over 60 years old. Previously, regulators pointed out that there is a link between the vaccine and rare cases of blood clotting among young people.
Madrid announced that it will continue to use AstraZeneca for people between 60 and 65 years old, and then vaccinate the second priority group between 66 and 69 years old.
The government said: “People under 60 will receive another vaccine.”
But before the vaccine caused by blood clots was suspicious, in Spain, people in major industries between the ages of 18 and 65 had been provided with the first dose of the vaccine.
The Ministry of Health has not yet decided whether to give them a second dose of vaccine.
The Minister of Health Hugo de Jonge confirmed that the Dutch government will also limit AstraZenec vaccination to over 60 years old.
The minister said: “People over 60 years old who were born in 1960 or earlier can safely continue to receive AstraZeneca vaccine. People under 60 years old will receive another vaccine.”
Portugal today temporarily stopped using AstraZeneca for children under 60 years of age.
Henrique Melo, coordinator of the vaccination working group, said that the decision has little impact on the overall vaccination plan.
The European Medicines Agency (EMA) announced on Wednesday that there were reports that out of 34 million doses of AstraZeneca, there were 169 cases of rare blood clotting disorders, that is, one case in every 100,000 people under the age of 60.
According to reports, most of these cases occurred in women under 60 and within two weeks of vaccination.