Connect with us

Sports

Ice Wars returns

Published

on

Ice Wars returns

The spiritual successor to one-off mid-2000s event ‘Battle of the Hockey Enforcers’, Ice Wars International is set to return to action this August, for their second iPPV event. The promotion debuted earlier this year, back in May, with a 10-fight card, featuring a 1-night 8-man heavyweight tournament for the title of ‘King of the Rink’. ‘Diamond Hands’ Daniel Amesbury walked away the night’s big winner.

This strange hybrid fight-sport is setting up their return to the River Cree Resort & Casino in Edmonton, Ontario, Canada, for August 6th—broadcast live on Fite.TV. This time around, the promotion will feature their newly formed ‘Crusierweight division’, with fighters weighing between 175-205 lbs. A press release from Fite.TV, on behalf of the promotion, did not give any details on participating athletes for the second Ice Wars show, but did say that the card is expected to contain 15 bouts—after a 10-fight card for the debut show.

“One value that I will never compromise is loyalty,” Promotion president AJ Galante said via press release. “The River Cree never blinked when we wanted to bring our first event there. They were beyond welcoming and accommodating. It’s easy to jump on a bandwagon when things look like they are trending in a positive direction, but the River Cree Resort & Casino has a special place in my heart as well as the hearts of our organization who have worked hard to get this sport off the ground.”

Ice Wars bouts consist of two one-minute rounds, with competitors sporting MMA gloves while otherwise dressed in full hockey gear, including helmets and skates. The second Ice wars show is expected to boast a new point-scoring system for a more transparent judging process.

This carnival-pugilism variation is the brainchild of AJ Galante former GM of the short-lived Danbury Trashers UHL team. AJ is the son of disgraced waste disposal management mogul James Galante, who served seven years in prison between 2008-2014 on a variety of racketeering, wire fraud and tax evasion charges. James Galante is alleged to have ties to the Genovese crime family.

Advertisement

“We couldn’t be happier to continue working with Ice Wars following the success of their first event,’” said Paul Owen, Digital Director of FITE. “The response was overwhelming and we looking forward to continuing to work with AJ Galante and his team to bring this exciting product to FITE viewers around the world.”

Read More

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Sports

No. 1 recruit Williams commits to Mulkey, LSU

Published

on

No. 1 recruit Williams commits to Mulkey, LSU

Mikaylah Williams, the top-ranked recruit in the Class of 2023, according to ESPN HoopGurlz, has committed to Kim Mulkey’s LSU program, she announced Friday.

Williams, a 6-foot-1 guard from Bossier City, Louisiana, chose LSU over Ole Miss, Baylor, Duke and Texas A&M.

“In order to take my game to the next level and to continue to learn and grow as a young woman, there’s only one place where I’ve wanted to be. Home,” Williams said in her video announcement. “I’ve decided I’ll be attending the Louisiana State University.”

Advertisement

Williams won gold with Team USA in the 2021 FIBA 3×3 U18 World Cup, where she was MVP, and recently earned a spot on the U.S. team for the FIBA U17 World Cup, which will compete July 9-17 in Hungary.

She was named the Gatorade Louisiana Girls Basketball Player of the Year in March after averaging 22.8 points, 8.0 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 2.2 steals as a junior at Parkway High.

With Mulkey in her second season in Baton Rouge, the Tigers are looking to propel themselves back into the conversation as title contenders and to return to the Final Four for the first time since 2008. LSU fell to Ohio State in the second round of the NCAA tournament last season.

With a host of seniors departing the program, Mulkey was active in the transfer portal, bringing in Angel Reese from Maryland, LaDazhia Williams from Missouri, Kateri Poole from Ohio State, Jasmine Carson from West Virginia and top juco transfer Last-Tear Poa from Northwest Florida State College to join a 2022 recruiting class ranked No. 17 in the nation by ESPN.

Advertisement

Read More

Continue Reading

Sports

Sources: Five-star Buzelis picks G League Ignite

Published

on

Sources: Five-star Buzelis picks G League Ignite

11:04 AM ET

  • Adrian WojnarowskiSenior NBA Insider

    Close

    • Host of The Woj Pod
    • Joined ESPN in 2017

Five-star recruit Matas Buzelis — the No. 11 player in ESPN’s Top 100 for the Class of 2023 — has committed to the G League Ignite for the 2023-24 season, sources told ESPN on Friday.

Buzelis, a skilled 6-foot-10 forward, will bypass college basketball and sign into the NBA’s professional pathway program once he graduates from Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas next spring, sources said.

Advertisement

Buzelis, an Illinois native who starred for Brewster Academy in New Hampshire last season, had narrowed his college choices to Kentucky, North Carolina, Florida State and Wake Forest.

The G League Ignite program is based out of Northern California and constructed to prepare young players ahead of NBA draft eligibility. Former NBA guard Jason Hart is beginning his second season as the program’s coach, and several recent players, including the No. 8 pick Dyson Daniels (New Orleans) and No. 24 pick MarJon Beauchamp (Milwaukee) on Thursday, were first-round draft choices.

Buzelis participated in the Nike Hoop Summit in 2022, and a USA Basketball minicamp at the site of the Final Four in New Orleans. He led powerhouse Brewster Academy to a 31-8 record and a New England prep school championship.

Excel Sports represents Buzelis in name, image and likeness deals.

Read More

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Sports

WNBA union decries overturning of Roe v. Wade

Published

on

WNBA union decries overturning of Roe v. Wade

1:39 PM ET

  • ESPN News Services

The Women’s National Basketball Players Association reacted to the U.S. Supreme Court decision to overturn a woman’s constitutional right to an abortion by focusing on voting rights and urging people to “vote like our lives depend on it. Because they do.”

In a statement, the WNBPA said, “This decision shows a branch of government that is so out of touch with the country and any sense of human dignity.”

“We must recognize that when we cast a ballot it is to elect officials and to connect the dots to policies and legislation that align with our values,” the WNBPA said.

Advertisement

The Supreme Court on Friday voted 5-4 to overturn Roe v. Wade, a decision expected to lead to abortion bans in roughly half the states. The ruling came more than a month after the leak of a draft opinion by Justice Samuel Alito indicating the court was prepared to take this momentous step, and it was supported by the court’s conservative majority.

Alito, in the final opinion, wrote that the original 1973 decision on Roe and a 1992 decision reaffirming it (Planned Parenthood v. Casey) were “wrong the days they were decided and must be overturned.”

Alito wrote that the authority to regulate abortion rests with the political branches of government and not the courts. The decision leaves it up to the states.

“We therefore hold that the Constitution does not confer a right to abortion. Roe and Casey must be overruled, and the authority to regulate abortion must be returned to the people and their elected representatives,” Alito wrote.

Justices Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh, Amy Coney Barrett and Clarence Thomas joined the majority. Chief Justice John Roberts voted to uphold a Mississippi law that banned abortion after 15 weeks and prompted the case to get to the Supreme Court, but he didn’t vote to overturn Roe.

Advertisement

The ruling is expected to lead to abortion bans in about half of the states, some beginning immediately.

“It’s just incredibly disheartening. There are an infinite amount of reasons why a woman chooses to do what she does with her body or what they do with their body — none of which are anybody else’s business.”

USWNT star Megan Rapinoe

Three of the court’s liberal justices wrote in a joint dissent that the decision would bring “sorrow” for the many millions of American women who will be losing a “fundamental constitutional protection.” The WNBPA statement said an abortion ban “could lead to higher rates of maternal mortality while eviscerating rights to reproductive freedom for everyone.”

In September, a number of prominent women athletes, including soccer star Megan Rapinoe and basketball standouts Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird, joined 500 athletes and groups who signed a friend-of-the-court brief to the justices. The group included 26 Olympians, 73 professional athletes and various athlete associations. They argued that abortion rights have helped the growth of women’s sports and expressed concern that future athletes would suffer without those protections.

Rapinoe on Friday called it a “really sad, sad day” and said the ruling is “completely misguided and wildly out of touch with the desires of the country.”

Advertisement

“The right to freedom and the pursuit of happiness and liberty is being assaulted in this instance,” Rapinoe said. “And it’s just incredibly disheartening. There are an infinite amount of reasons why a woman chooses to do what she does with her body or what they do with their body — none of which are anybody else’s business.”

Rapinoe’s U.S. women’s national soccer teammate Lindsey Horan said, “I’m still a little bit shocked and trying to take it all in. But I do feel like this is taking a step backwards for our country.”

In a statement, the National Women’s Soccer League wrote that the ruling “denies individuals in this country the full liberty and equality that is the cornerstone of a just society.”

The statement added: “Reproductive rights are human rights. Until every individual has the same freedoms as their neighbor, our work is not done. We will continue to make our voices heard.”

Bird, who is engaged to Rapinoe, took to Twitter to react to the Supreme Court’s decision.

Advertisement

Gutted 💔

— Sue Bird (@S10Bird) June 24, 2022

Bird’s WNBA team, the Seattle Storm released a statement on Twitter that also referenced the Supreme Court’s Thursday ruling on gun rights.

Furious and ready to fight. pic.twitter.com/6fdEHUd4pM

— Seattle Storm (@seattlestorm) June 24, 2022

NBA commissioner Adam Silver and WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert issued a joint statement Friday afternoon.

“The NBA and WNBA believe that women should be able to make their own decisions concerning their health and future, and we believe that freedom should be protected,” the leagues said in the statement. “We will continue to advocate for gender and health equity, including ensuring our employees have access to reproductive health care, regardless of their location.”

Advertisement

The much-anticipated ruling, applauded by pro-life conservatives, was decried by a number of prominent athletes on social media.

Tennis legend Billie Jean King wrote: “This decision will not end abortion … it is a sad day in the United States.”

Wrote Portland Trail Blazers guard Josh Hart: “To the women in this country … I’m sorry.”

Information from The Associated Press is included in this report.

Read More

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 Newsline. Powered by WordPress.