LGBTIQ+ Health Australia and the Zoe Belle Gender Collective are co-hosting a discussion on Identifying and Dismantling Trans Misogyny, Thursday, June 16.
The panel for this online event includes five trans women from various LGBTQ and Trans Rights organisations to discuss trans misogyny as a cause of violence and how it harms trans women, their families, and their communities.
An Opportunity to Listen to The Voices of Trans Women
According to LGBTIQ+ Health Australia, “This is an important opportunity for allies and the LGBTIQA+ service sector to listen to the voices of trans women and learn how to better identify and respond to trans misogyny.”
The panel includes Starlady (Zoe Belle Gender Collective), Estelle Clarke (BlaQ Aboriginal Corporation), Eloise Brook (NSW Gender Centre), Mama Alto (Transgender Victoria), and Jackie Turner (Equality Australia).
Starlady, Program Manager at the Zoe Belle Gender Collective, a Victorian-based trans and gender diverse advocacy organisation, stressed the importance of allyship.
“We need our allies to respond, to redress that violence through campaigns, awareness-raising and education and for greater access to services that support victims of violence,” she said.
‘Trans Misogyny Leads to Harassment and Violence’
According to the CEO of Transgender Victoria Mama Alto, trans misogyny leads to harassment and violence. These have “devastating and sometimes fatal consequences.”
“At the peak of transmisogyny are the murders of women such as Mhelody Bruno and Mayang Prasetyo, and the disappointing failures of the justice system in their cases; but other incidences of transmisogyny have created the environment where that can happen.
“Whether it’s police taking and spreading pictures of a trans woman in custody, newspapers running sensationalist stories, airport security profiling, or political candidates spouting misinformation, transmisogyny has real and damaging consequences and we need our allies to understand and take action.”
‘We Are The Canaries in The Coal Mine’
Health and Communications Manager for the NSW Gender Centre, Eloise Brook explained that, “transwomen, transgirls, transfemme people are where misogynistic violence is most visible and most acceptable in society. Reduce violence against us and you reduce violence against all women. We are the canaries in the coal mine.”
When asked what can allies do to address transmisogyny Brook said, “When people express anti-trans ideas in public, or think they have a receptive audience it is our allies who need to speak up and out.”
Starlady reiterated Brook’s comments, and urged the community to action, saying, “Support us to lead the response in preventing violence against trans women, employ us, fund our organisations and work. We want the violence against trans women to end, we want our allies to break the silence.”
Identifying and Dismantling Trans Misogyny Webinar is on Thursday, June 16 from 3:00pm – 4:30pm. Sign up to attend here
© Star Observer 2022 | For the latest in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex (LGBTIQ) news in Australia, be sure to visit starobserver.com.au daily. You can also read our latest magazines or Join us on our Facebook page and Twitter feed.
Man gets early morning shock as car crashes into his house
GEORGE TOWN: A homeowner in Penang got a shock on Saturday (June 25) morning when a car rammed into his home at about 7am. “I heard a bang outside and rushed out. I saw that a car had crashed into the front of my house and the empty house next door that had been used…
GEORGE TOWN: A homeowner in Penang got a shock on Saturday (June 25) morning when a car rammed into his home at about 7am.
“I heard a bang outside and rushed out. I saw that a car had crashed into the front of my house and the empty house next door that had been used as a welding workshop,” said 52-year-old Hasbullah Mohd Khalid.
News portal Berita Harian Online reported that Hasbullah was boiling water while his three children were in another room when the incident happened.
“I was confused for a moment when I saw the damage to the front of the house as it was just a few meters from the place where I was boiling water. It was only separated by a wooden wall,” he said to the portal.
Hasbullah said the damage to his house was estimated at RM50,000.
He did not have time to meet the man who was driving the vehicle because he was taken away by his friend.
It is understood that the case has been handed over to the police for further action.
Norway terror alert raised after deadly mass shooting
OSLO: The Norwegian security service PST has raised its terror alert to the highest level after a mass shooting left two people dead and many wounded during Pride week in Oslo. Acting PST chief Roger Berg called the shootings an “extreme Islamist terror act.” He said the gunman, who was arrested shortly after the shootings,…
OSLO: The Norwegian security service PST has raised its terror alert to the highest level after a mass shooting left two people dead and many wounded during Pride week in Oslo.
Acting PST chief Roger Berg called the shootings an “extreme Islamist terror act.”
He said the gunman, who was arrested shortly after the shootings, had a “long history of violence and threats.”
Early on Saturday (June 25), the gunman opened fire in Oslo’s night-life district, killing two people and leaving 10 seriously wounded in what police are investigating as a possible terrorist attack during the Norwegian capital’s annual Pride festival.
Investigators said the suspect, identified as a 42-year-old Norwegian citizen originally from Iran, was arrested after opening fire at three locations in downtown Oslo.
While the motive was unclear, organizers of Oslo Pride cancelled a parade that was set for Saturday as the highlight of a weeklong festival. One of the shootings happened outside the London Pub, a bar popular with the city’s LGBTQ community, just hours before the parade was set to begin.
Police attorney Christian Hatlo said the suspect was being held on suspicion of murder, attempted murder and terrorism, based on the number of people targeted at multiple locations.
“Our overall assessment is that there are grounds to believe that he wanted to cause grave fear in the population,” Hatlo said.
Hatlo said the suspect’s mental health was also being investigated.
“We need to go through his medical history, if he has any. It’s not something that we’re aware of now,” he said.
The shootings happened around 1am local time, sending panicked revellers fleeing into the streets or trying to hide from the gunman.
Olav Roenneberg, a journalist from Norwegian public broadcaster NRK, said he witnessed the shooting.
“I saw a man arrive at the site with a bag. He picked up a weapon and started shooting,” Roenneberg told NRK.
“First I thought it was an air gun. Then the glass of the bar next door was shattered and I understood I had to run for cover.”
Another witness, Marcus Nybakken, 46, said he was alerted to the incident by a commotion in the area.
“When I walked into Cesar’s bar there were a lot of people starting to run and there was a lot of screaming. I thought it was a fight out there, so I pulled out. But then I heard that it was a shooting and that there was someone shooting with a submachine gun,” Nybakken told Norwegian broadcaster TV2.
Police inspector Tore Soldal said two of the shooting victims died and 10 people were being treated for serious injuries, but none of them was believed to be life-threatening.
Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere said in a Facebook post that “the shooting outside London Pub in Oslo tonight was a cruel and deeply shocking attack on innocent people.”
He said that while the motive was unclear, the shooting had caused fear and grief in the LGBTQ community.
“We all stand by you,” Gahr Stoere wrote.
King Harald V also offered condolences and said he and Norway’s royal family were “horrified by the night’s shooting tragedy.”
“We sympathize with all relatives and affected and send warm thoughts to all who are now scared, restless and in grief,” the Norwegian monarch said in a statement.
“We must stand together to defend our values: freedom, diversity and respect for each other. We must continue to stand up for all people to feel safe.”
Christian Bredeli, who was at the bar, told Norwegian newspaper VG that he hid on the fourth floor with a group of about 10 people until he was told it was safe to come out.
“Many were fearing for their lives,” he said.
“On our way out we saw several injured people, so we understood that something serious had happened.”
Norwegian broadcaster TV2 showed footage of people running down Oslo streets in panic as shots rang out in the background.
Investigators said the suspect was known to police, as well as to Norway’s security police, but not for any major violent crimes. His criminal record included a narcotics offence and a weapons offense for carrying a knife, Hatlo said.
Hatlo said police seized two weapons after the attack: a handgun and an automatic weapon, both of which he described as “not modern” without giving details.
He said the suspect had not made any statement to the police and was in contact with a defence lawyer.
Hatlo said it was too early to say whether the gunman specifically targeted members of the LGBTQ community.
“We have to look closer at that, we don’t know yet,” he said.
Still, police advised organizers of the Pride festival to cancel the parade Saturday.
“Oslo Pride therefore urges everyone who planned to participate or watch the parade to not show up. All events in connection with Oslo Prides are cancelled,” organizers said on the official Facebook page of the event.
Inge Alexander Gjestvang, leader of FRI, the Norwegian organisation for sexual and gender diversity, said the shooting has shaken the Nordic country’s gay community.
“It’s tough for the queer movement to experience this,” he was quoted by TV2 as saying.
“We encourage everyone to stand together, take care of each other. We’ll be back later, proud, visible but right now it’s not the time for that.”
Norway has a relatively low crime rate but has experienced violent attacks by right-wing extremists, including one of the worst mass shootings in Europe in 2011, when a gunman killed 69 people on the island of Utoya after setting off a bomb in Oslo that left eight dead.
In 2019, another right-wing extremist killed his stepsister and then opened fire in a mosque but was overpowered before anyone there was injured. – AP
History Has Been Made – Tonto Dikeh Says As She Celebrates Her Political Ambition
Nollywood actress now cum politician Tonto Dikeh has taken to her page to celebrate her achievement of making a bold step.A few days ago, Tonto Dikeh took to her page and shared photos announcing her political nomination. She was hailed by her fans as many applauded her for taking a big step.READ ALSO: Running For…
Nollywood actress now cum politician Tonto Dikeh has taken to her page to celebrate her achievement of making a bold step.
A few days ago, Tonto Dikeh took to her page and shared photos announcing her political nomination. She was hailed by her fans as many applauded her for taking a big step.
READ ALSO: Running For Office Is One Of The Best Things – Yul Edochie Applauds Colleague Tonto Dikeh
Tonto Dikeh has shared on her page photos after she received her certificate of return which was presented by Chief Ralph Nwosu the ADC National Chairman which officially confirmed her nomination as running mate to Hon Tonte Ibraye.
She wrote on her page…
“HISTORY HAS BEEN MADE
YESTERDAY, 24th June 2022 I took a political bold step to accept the Deputy Governorship slot under the platform of ADC.
I gladly received my certificate of return presented by Chief Ralph Nwosu the ADC National Chairman which officially confirmed my nomination as running mate to Hon Tonte Ibraye @tonteibraye the Governorship candidate of Rivers State.
I Was overwhelmed with the support and turnout of media organizations, people from Rivers State, youths, and women.
I sincerely appreciate God for the grace and strength, of my honorable colleagues from the Committee of Youth on Mobilization and Sensitisation (CYMS) @cymsnigeria led by the Director-General, Mr. Obinna Nwaka @Obinna1nwaka for their encouragement, moral support, and presence at the official unveiling held Yesterday at the ADC NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS.
As a youth and the YOUNGEST FEMALE DEPUTY GOVERNORSHIP candidate in Nigeria, I promise to live up to expectations and assiduously with all stakeholders as long as this project is a concern.
My aspiration is God’s divine arrangements and projects, NOT A DESPERATE ONE.
God bless all my fans, families, and associates.
Please join and work with me as we make this history together.
Let’s get to work.
AMB. Tonto Dikeh,
ADC Deputy Governorship Candidate
24th June 2022.
READ ALSO: People Ignored Me Due To My Height – Lade Speaks
Entertainment3 weeks ago
At Long Last, the First Portrait of Lilibet Mountbatten-Windsor Is Here
Science3 weeks ago
Wow! International Space Station and Boeing Starliner captured in the same incredible image
Top News3 weeks ago
Shari Puorto Band performs at Beaver Creek, CO’s Blues, Brews & BBQ Festival, 2022
Top News2 weeks ago
Italy minister says nationalisation an option for Lukoil refinery
Technology3 weeks ago
Save over $650 off an unlimited lifetime subscription to Offcloud
Entertainment3 weeks ago
25 Of The Best Candid Royal Family Moments From The Platinum Jubilee
Science3 weeks ago
How to Change the Alarm Volume on iPhone
Sports3 weeks ago
Michael Bisping shares his take on the biggest UFC fight that failed to come to fruition: “That truly is the one that got away”