Since Tuesday morning, the Tut.by website has been blocked, which mainly reports anti-Lukashenko demonstrations.
A series of searches were conducted on the main independent media in Belarus, Tuby, And the residences of several reporters on Tuesday, May 18, were suppressed after an unprecedented protest movement in 2020. “Agent of the Financial Investigation Department [DFR] The members of the National Control Committee are with me and a few reporters from the portal”, Editor-in-chief Marina Zolotova said, adding “Police representatives are also being drafted”.
DFR, a powerful investigative agency that has targeted the opposition in the past, has confirmed a raid on the offices of Tut.by and the website hosting online solution provider Hoster.by. The Tut.by website was also blocked on Tuesday. Neither Belarus nor Russia or France can access it.
President Alexander Lukashenko faced a large-scale election campaign against a re-election that was deemed fraudulent in August 2020. He organized a repressive campaign by the opposition and the country’s independent media.
The movement gathered thousands of people on the streets of Minsk and other cities for several weeks, and then was gradually consumed by a large number of arrests, exhausted violence, at least four deaths and severe punishments, and continued decline. . Tut.by, the country’s main independent media, has extensively reported the protests and the subsequent suppression in text and images. The authorities also targeted other media.
The Belarusian Association of Journalists said that just last week, two journalists who wanted to cover up their trial were arrested and abused.A journalist from Tut.by was sentenced to 15 days in prison for being arrested on Monday “Participate in unauthorized mass activities”.